May 6, 2015
Smothered Grilled Chicken
Marinated, grilled chicken topped with spinach dip, sautéed peppers & onions, and cheese!
8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1-16 oz. bottle Light Balsamic salad dressing
2 bell peppers, sliced
2 cups sliced onion, divided
2 tsp. minced garlic
3 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
1 tsp. each: salt, pepper, divided
10 oz. baby spinach
1 cup Byrne Hollow Farm Plain Greek Yoghurt
1 cup shredded Byrne Dairy Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1. Empty balsamic dressing into a large plastic, re-sealable bag. Add chicken, seal bag and shake to coat chicken. Refrigerate chicken at least 30 minutes (tip- throw the chicken and salad dressing in the fridge before work in the morning to marinate all day, then grill when you get home!).
2. Preheat a skillet to medium-high heat. Add 2 tbsp. of olive oil, 1 cup sliced onion, and the sliced bell peppers. Season with 1/2 tsp. each salt and pepper. Sauté for 10-15 minutes, or until onions and peppers are golden brown. Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl.
3. Return to pan. Add remaining: olive oil, sliced onion, salt, and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes until onions are translucent and golden brown. Reduce heat to low, add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add spinach to the pan and cover with a lid (it will look like the pan is too full, but the spinach will wilt.) After 2-3 minutes, remove lid (be careful of the steam) and stir to combine wilted spinach, onion, and garlic. Turn stovetop off, and remove pan from heat. Add Greek Yoghurt, mix. Set aside.
4. Remove chicken from marinade and add in a single layer to a preheated grill (can also use a stove-top grill pan, or cook it in a skillet on the stove). Cook chicken 5-7 minutes on first side. Flip. Grill another 5-7 minutes (depending on thickness) on second side or until cooked through. Breasts are cooked through when firm to touch, or when an instant read thermometer reached 165°F. Transfer to a plate.
5. Top each breast with a 1/4 cup spinach mixture, the reserved sautéed peppers and onions, and shredded cheddar cheese. Cover with foil, remove foil after 5 minutes. (The cheese will melt and the chicken will rest to ensure the juices are redistributed throughout.)